Dramatic near-death dog-rescue caught on tape
Davis Islands in Tampa, Florida is home to two commonly used dog parks- one of them having beach access. It was here where what started as a day of fun in the sun quickly turned to a scary situation for one unlucky pooch.
As a Labrador Retriever chased a ball into the water, a witness saw the dog fall under the surf. That’s when a bystander went out to grab the dog, reported Jeff Patterson of WFLA. As luck would have it, a fire truck was driving by during the incident.
Tim Hayes, captain of the Tampa Fire Rescue Station 17, explained, “Somebody came running out flagging us down. I had the driver stop, roll down the window and he said there is a dog that stopped breathing, can you come help us?”
In the video below, you’ll see that once the rescue team reached the beach, a heroic bystander was already performing CPR on the dog. Using the same oxygen equipment used for humans, the rescue team quickly went to help the dog by providing a human rescue mask. After administering oxygen for about 4 minutes the dog regained consciousness and was taken to nearby veterinarian.
The dog’s guardian later said that the dog is doing fine and thanked everyone for their help.
Truly an amazing story and it’s also an important reminder of why it’s worth being especially vigilant around water.
To learn more about water safety for dogs, click here >
For other summer safety tips, click here>
If you have any questions or concerns, you should always visit or call your veterinarian – they are your best resource to ensure the health and well-being of your pets.
- Cars, trucks and dogs: the dangers you don’t think about
- Five animal heroes to inspire you
- Excessive barking in dogs
- What to do with a stray kitten
- 6 Reasons not to punish your cat for aggression
- Cat scratching carpet – how to stop it?
- The nova scotia duck tolling retriever
- Dramatic bald-eagle rescue- lead poisoning to blame
- Anal gland cancer in dogs
- Pet goldfish undergoes high risk brain surgery
- Reverse sneezing in dogs
- Miracle marley: the dog i will never forget
- Medical questions to ask a prospective pet sitter
- Should i get a male or a female kitten as a companion to my resident cat?
- Moonshine spurs an unforgettable holiday vet visit
- The ibis rabbit advert – accidentally highlighting a real rabbit issue
- Keep your dog cool this summer: heat stroke, part i
- Cat saves 3-year-old’s life from stray bullet: called hero
- Laryngeal paralysis is not a death sentence
- Four in ten pet owners have ‘pulled a sickie’ for their pet